In 1919, Leonard L. McLarty opened a garage, gas station and
cafe at the base of the famous Grapevine Grade. As the business developed,
he added a motel, grocery store and post office. The road stop
eventually grew into a small community of pipeline pumping station workers.
It was here that the famous 7% climb began. It is commonly assumed
that Grapevine refers to the twisting turns and switchbacks on the original
road used to gain elevation. The origin of the name actually comes from
an abundance of Cimarron grapes growing wild on the sides of;
the canyon, some still visible today.
Grapevine is a segment of the RidgeRoute and refers to the 6
1/2-mile stretch of road between the bottom of the mountain and Fort